Monday, October 29, 2007

Practice News Story 7: Speech

Nov. 19, 1863

GETTYSBURG, Pa. - President Abraham Lincoln spoke on the war-torn grounds at Gettysburg, yesterday afternoon.

His intent was to stir citizens to 'get out there and make it so that those who died didn't die in vain', Lincoln says after the meeting.

His speech went on to say, "Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation, so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this."

"I felt really good about giving it," says Lincoln, in regards to his speech. "I feel it was inspired, and I wanted to do something for the soldiers in the war. This war isn't over yet. United we stand. Separated we fall. We must pull together."

3 comments:

Lee Cannon said...

Peter,
I liked your article. It was good that you used quotes from the address itself. I think that we should get together and open a newspaper, we would do wonders together! p.s. nice costume at the stake dance

Court Hall said...

Peter,
I have no idea about your costume at the stake dance, but I'm sure that it was great. You did a good job with your story. I had a hard time putting this one together, but yours flowed well and presented the necessary information. You used the quotes well, but I think that the last one may have been worded a little differently by "Lincoln" during the interview session. Good job overall.

labroberg said...

Good use of quotes and good organization. Great Job.