Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Practice News Story 3: Crime

Logan, UT – Yesterday at 2:20 a.m. there was a burglary in a meetinghouse belonging to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

On the corner of 1600 East and 900 North trespassers entered through an open window of the meetinghouse. Two CPUs are reported stolen from the office room. Also, two computer monitors were smashed in the hallway.

Bob Knotz, the physical management manager of the building, found the scene as he arrived at 6 a.m. that morning. “The door was unlocked when I got there. There were two computer monitors that were destroyed on the floor,” Knotz said. Glass was everywhere. Unsure if the trespassers were still in the building, Knotz immediately left to report it. “I called the cops as soon as I saw something was wrong,” Knotz said.

“I don’t think this is an act against the Church itself,” said Sheriff Deputy Geoffrey Hasty. “Relatively, in the 11 years that I’ve been here, these incidents are few and far between. Logan’s a safe town and I don’t think this is anything to be considered a pattern.”

Bishop Lawrence Shirk, occupant of the vandalized office, expresses his concern for those with whom he affiliates. “I wasn’t as concerned about the equipment. I wanted to ensure the confidential information of my congregation was safe.” Shirk believes no personal attack was intended and feels secure about this neighborhood. “I’ve been coming to this building my whole life and I don’t recall anything like this happening before.”

The police are under investigation to identify the burglars.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Very well writen. You keep it very professionally writen. It truely sounds like a news report. You use quotes very well. You use them to keep a story flowing.

I enjoyed your article.

Lee Cannon said...

Peter,

I enjoyed your article. It is great to see your own personality coming through in the flow of the article. I think you covered the points well and had a very successful article.

BCrane said...

I like your use of quotes, the information in the second paragraph could be put in a little bit more combined manner, but I really liked it! Really well done.